Job Title: Construction Project Manager
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Review project planning and construction proposals, review and approve construction and execution delivery plans and schedules, supervise construction activities and monitor and report on project scope, cost, schedule, risk and deliverables for all assigned mine development and construction projects.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Conuma Coal has numerous mine development and expansion projects, most of which require extensive design and construction activities. External contractor and construction companies are used to execute and construct projects on behalf of the company, all requiring in-depth supervision, monitoring and control in the form of dedicated project management and construction supervision. This is required to ensure projects progress in a timely fashion, and to ensure that defined project deliverables and targets are achieved.
Duties and Responsibilities
Construction Supervision (50%) – supervise the construction of assigned projects through the various phases of project execution and construction, including:
- Review and advise on proposed construction schedules, cost estimates and project activities and tasks;
- Supervise and direct construction teams to ensure construction is done in accordance with approved schedules, within budget and to the approved quality standards;
- Perform regular progress and quality control inspections on site during construction, as well as post-construction to confirm delivery as per scope and schedule;
- Direct and control construction progress as required to ensure deliverables are met, safety standards are maintained, and quality specifications are delivered;
- Ensure construction is effectively coordinated between the different stakeholders, groups, companies and disciplines;
Project Management (30%) – oversee the management of assigned projects. Establish systematic approaches, project timelines, budgets, milestones, and spending plans. Accountability will include but is not limited to:
- Monitor and report project performance on budget, scope and progress variances and identify corrective actions where required
- Develop & maintain project reports including status reports, dashboards, cost reports, risk reports and tracking mitigating controls;
- Provide continuous project control, monitoring and assistance until all project objectives are complete;
- Approve progress and completion reports submitted for payments and manage change orders where applicable.
Project Design & Development (20%)
- Take the lead and engage with project stakeholders to define and develop the project scope and deliverables for assigned projects;
- Generate project requirements, bid specifications, project budgets, scope sheets and schedules;
- Ensure project planning considers the health, safety and environmental aspects of project development and incorporate corporate safety procedures, health programs and environmental standards in the work.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Engineering (Mining, Civil, Geotechnical) or equivalent is an asset.
- +10 years of progressive experience in mining, project or construction management and supervision.
- Knowledge of mine engineering and associated mine infrastructure layouts and designs, as well as knowledge of the operating workings of surface coal mines and processing facilities.
- Experience with directing construction teams and supervising work schedules to direct and control the tasks and activities.
- Knowledge of project and construction cost drivers and capital and operating cost estimating methodologies.
Skills and Abilities
- Measure construction progress and identify deviation from scope and schedule;
- Develop and implement solutions to minimize project variances
- Assess technical issues and define solutions that best support schedule, costs and operability of project elements;
- Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies and approaches
- Manage variances and deviations (change orders) with contractors with regards to contract requirements or required changes to scope
- Strong cross-functional leadership and ability to effectively lead and work in cross-functional teams.
- Strong planning, organization and time management skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- High level of autonomy and initiative taking.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages, and the ability to build and maintain cost and progress reports and analysis in Excel.
- Ability to create and present professional presentations using PowerPoint.
The Construction Project Manager will report to VP of Logistics & Project Managers. There will be frequent interaction with Vice president project and logistics, VP Operations and VP Technical Services, Mining, Maintenance, Process Directors and Contractors
- Vice President Projects & Logistics
Reports to the VP on the overall progress and condition of the projects and reviews his key activities and plans with him to ensure that these are in accordance with overall corporate policy and that he has the benefit of the VP’s input. Assist the VP with planning, budgeting and policy development.
- VP Operations & VP Technical Services
They are the end users of most of the construction projects. Periodically informs VP’s on the progress of the projects and reviews concepts, and coordinates with them on activities where operations and projects intersect/overlap. Similar relationship will be required when working on projects related to other divisions.
- Mining, Maintenance and Process Directors
Coordinates with respective directors to ensure safety and security of the respective operating sites and facilities during concurrent construction and operations activities.
Supervises and monitors contractor construction tasks and activities and acts as a liaison between the contractors and the company and provides the directional leadership to the construction crews to ensure that projects are executed safely, within scope and within budget.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer