Job Title: Control Room Operator
Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health and Safety
- Ensure adherence to Conuma’s workplace policies and standard operating procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control;
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard operating procedures.
- Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and property damage at the workplace; and
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health and safety meetings and training.
- Safely and efficiently perform electrician duties in an assigned area on an assigned shift.
- Ensure the reliability of the overall electrical systems in both the process plant and open pit mine.
- Ensure adherence to Conuma’s environmental policy, operating standards, management plans and regulatory obligations and requirements
- Integrate environmental policies, programs, and practices into all activities of the organization; and
- Maintain environmental awareness amongst our employees and contractors by holding meetings and actively participate in planned environmental programs and drills.
- Control and monitor the equipment run to ensure consistent plant utilization and metallurgical performance
- Perform regular checks of all equipment operating trends to ensure safe and optimal operating conditions;
- Assist field Operators in diagnosing operational deficiencies using instrument indications;
- Assist field Operators in identifying root cause of equipment defects using instrument indications;
- Report on shift activities and performance indicators. Focus on equipment availability and operation shortfalls
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in view of driving the operations team to achieve production targets
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary school is usually required and previous experience in products processing as an assistant, labourer or helper.
- Proven ability to motivate employees to work safely and achieve operational targets
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy and sincerity
- Visible team player at workplace
- Bring a positive attitude and be a good ambassador for the company
- Ability to mentor employees
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at the workplace
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Literacy skills including the ability to read manuals and regulatory requirements;
- Computer skills include use of Microsoft Software packages; and
- Stress and time management skills.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in North-Eastern BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, North Eastern British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).