Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the Mine’s Drill and Blast Functions
- Oversee the blast pattern designs and pursue optimum efficiency
- Coordinate with Mine Manager that all drill and blast priorities are followed
- Oversee drilling activity and insure optimal performance
- Review and sign off on all drill pattern designs and loading instructions.
- Oversee blaster activity and insure minimal operational delays
Manage Drill and Blast inventories are maintained at optimal levels
- Constantly monitor and validate all Supplier invoices for accuracy
- Ensure drill consumable items are available but kept at minimum levels
- Pursue optimal bit usage and seek low cost per meter drilled performance; test new bits and other related hardware.
- Manage and maintain all blasting magazine storage sites
- Oversee the timely ordering of all blasting accessories (detonators, boosters, etc.)
- Monitor the daily blasting logs and insure usage accuracy
- Manage and maintain that adequate bulk supplies are always available
- Monitor Supplier activities to insure CCR’s best interests are met
- Where appropriate, insure that Supplier provides the proper mix of bulk versus emulsion to insure optimal fragmentation at CCR’s lowest cost
- Continuously pursue technological methods to improve productivity and lower costs
- Advance the usage of the current drill Terrain package
- Fully utilize all of the information available to improve driller’s performance
- Incorporate Terrain information for better blast pattern designs
- Work with Manufacturers and Suppliers (Drill and Blast) to seek product improvements and new technology to improve productivity and lower costs
Mine and Company Management
- Work with Mine Manager to improve the Drill and Blast activities
- Daily monitoring of each Driller’s and Blaster’s performance and how to improve
- Work with Company personnel to share "best practices”
- Insure that all Drill and Blast activity meets or exceeds all legal requirements
- Work with Maintenance Department for planning and scheduling of all maintenance work for drills, blaster trucks and other equipment are completed
- Monitor and insure that all equipment (drills and other equipment) are operated in a safe and without damage; lead all loss investigations and provide solutions when loss occurs
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid BC Blasting Certificate
- A minimum of five years’ experience in an open-pit mining environment.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).