Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position
The Drill & Blast Engineer's primary purpose is to supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of all drill and blast personnel to optimize utilization of resources and achieve overall mine operations production objectives.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership to all drill and blast activities, ensuring work is being completed in a safe, efficient and timely manner;
- Coordinate resources to maintain and enhance critical equipment performance and availability through best business practices;
- Coordinate the allocation of machinery to ensure efficient and effective achievement of set drill and blast production objectives;
- Supervise, train, and develop drill and blast crew members as required;
- Establish good working relationships with other departments;
- Ensure that drill and blast activities and the operation of the explosive contractor are carried out according to best practice procedures;
- Analyze machine utilization records to identify trends and problems and takes remedial action to ensure optimum resource utilization;
- Ensure that all records on machine utilization (i.e. hours, pre-start checklists and utilized hours) are recorded on a daily basis;
- Ensure achievement of production targets by maintaining operational standards in loading, hauling and dumping zones;
- Report performance breakdowns, equipment damage, safety near misses, incidents and accidents according to established procedures;
- Asses performance against objectives on a regular basis as per policy and take corrective action where required;
- Implement daily, weekly and monthly operational plans and objectives, in accordance with production plan requirements;
- Participate actively with the technical services group to support the development of optimum mining short term plans;
- Maintain environmental and safety awareness amongst workforce by holding meetings and involving the environmental/prevention departments in related subjects.
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid BC Shift Boss Certificate;
- Valid BC Blasting Certificate;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in an open pit mining environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to take full responsibility with minimum supervision for safety, production and quality of drill and blast operations;
- Ability to interpret drill plans and effectively communicate to drill and blast work group;
- Understanding of short and long-term planning objectives.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).