Job Title: Efficiency Engineer
Location: Chetwynd, British Columbia (Brule Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the efficiency engineer will design, develop, test, and evaluate integrated systems for managing coal production processes, including human work factors, quality control, inventory control, logistics and material flow, cost analysis, and production coordination.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Communicate with management and user personnel to develop production and design standards.
- Review production schedules, engineering specifications, orders, and related information to obtain knowledge of mining methods, procedures, and activities.
- Estimate production costs, cost saving methods, and the effects of product design changes on expenditures for management review, action, and control.
- Draft and design layout of equipment, materials, and workspace to illustrate maximum efficiency using drafting tools and computer.
- Confer with clients, vendors, staff, and management personnel regarding purchases, product and production specifications, manufacturing capabilities, or project status
- Complete production reports, purchase orders, and material, tool, and equipment lists.
- Develop mining methods, labor utilization standards, and cost analysis systems to promote efficient staff and facility utilization.
- Evaluate precision and accuracy of production and testing equipment and engineering drawings to formulate corrective action plan.
- Coordinate and implement quality control objectives, activities, or procedures to resolve production problems, maximize product reliability, or minimize costs.
- Analyze statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and establish quality and reliability objectives of finished product.
- Plan and establish sequence of operations to fabricate and assemble parts or products and to promote efficient utilization.
- Study operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker functions and responsibilities.
- Recommend methods for improving utilization of personnel, material, and utilities.
- Apply statistical methods and perform mathematical calculations to determine mining processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Record or oversee recording of information to ensure currency of engineering drawings and documentation of production problems.
- Implement methods and procedures for disposition of discrepant material and defective or damaged parts and assess cost and responsibility.
- Direct workers engaged in product measurement, inspection, and testing activities to ensure quality control and reliability.
- Formulate sampling procedures and designs and develop forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data.
- Regulate and alter workflow schedules according to established mining sequences and lead times to expedite production operations.
- Schedule deliveries based on production forecasts, material substitutions, storage and handling facilities, and maintenance requirements.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Strong background in Mining Operations, Engineering, and Project Development
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the mining industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a business across organizational and geographical interfaces with specific expertise in managing complex, multi-disciplinary and geographically dispersed work teams
- Experience in various mining methods including surface and underground coal mining
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Strong operational, engineering, and/or project development experience
- Strong leadership capability with strong emphasis on mentoring and developing people
- The ability to review progress and prioritize resources to achieve project success.
- Passion and experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship
- Comfort and capability in pursuing business focused collaboration on a Group wide basis
- Strong commercial and value delivered focus
- Strong leadership skills that start with leading self and align with the Vision and Values of Conuma Coal
- Rigorous, data-based approach to decision making
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports and other presentation material
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and ideas in a clear and concise manner in both formal and informal contexts.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transportation is provided from Tumbler Ridge/Chetwynd, BC.
- Please be aware that no camp facilities are available. Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer.