Job Title: Engineering Manager
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full-time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Engineering Manager manages, mentors and develops a group of multi-disciplined professionals (engineers, geologists and technicians) to ensure technical support is aligned with the optimal business values and objectives of Conuma Coal.
The position is a based in either the corporate office in either Tumbler Ridge or Chetwynd Office to provide technical support in the areas of mine engineering and planning support, projects and development support, geological, geotechnical and hydrological support, resource assessment and mine monitoring and control.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide effective leadership to multi disciplined professionals such as engineers, geologists, and technicians that make up the technical services department by setting clear expectations, providing feedback and mentoring and thus establishing an effective team.
- To manage by providing timely information and influence to ensure that the team’s goals and objectives are being met.
- To be responsible to the VP of Technical Services to develop short, medium, and long term goals and to ensure that there is a life mine plan to optimize the quality and quantity of coal reserves.
- To manage and monitor the mine plans so they are implemented to ensure that alignment across the planning horizons are achieved.
- To make sure that the reconciliations are performed, and the results are applied appropriately.
- To manage through collection and compilation that the information is accurate and complete by geological, geotechnical and hydrological information so that it can be used for data resource modelling.
- To develop and manage the Technical Services’ Department budget and minimize overages.
- To complete ongoing monitoring and reporting with other departments to ensure they match those of the mine plans.
- To provide technical support to other departments as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. Mining or Mechanical Engineering with a P.Eng Designation.
- 10 to 15 + years of experience in Mining with five in a supervisory or leadership role.
Skills and Abilities
- To work with various teams to respond quickly to coal mining and quality issues.
- To mentor other members of the Technical Services Department.
- To encourage team to think outside the box and to participate when trying to solve problems.
- To be forward thinking, being able to think out of the box, with ability to contribute to the team.
- To be a team player with not only the Technical Services Department but others.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).