Job Title: Environmental Sampler
Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full-time position
Collect analyse and report on water, air and sediment field samples as specified by Conuma’s environmental sampling requirements.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake environmental sampling and analysis to meet permit requirements.
- Collect and prepare air, water, and soil samples for shipment.
- Assist in Interpreting results of chemical, physical, and biological tests.
- Explain and interpret regulations and procedures to non-environmental staff.
- Propose actions for corrections necessary to comply with federal and provincial regulations.
- Prepare reports for supervisors and prepare annual reports.
- Develop and improve the Environmental Management System ensuring compliance with internal and external audit requirements.
- Assist with developing training packages including training consultants and new hires on environmental stewardship.
- Manage various consultants and contractors, including analyzing quotes.
Qualifications and Experience
- A diploma from a technical college, or bachelor’s degree in a field such as environmental science.
- 0-2 years environmental experience in Resources or Mining (preferably Coal).
- Demonstrated experience contributing to a team.
- Basic knowledge of relevant state and federal legislation.
- Experience preparing documents, such as Management Plans, Procedures, Guidelines and Schedules.
Work Environment / Conditions
This position is required to make field visits around the mine property. He/she must be physically fit and have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd / Mackenzie
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).