Job Title: Environmental Sampler
Location: WolverineMine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Thisis a full time (40 hours/week) position for Maternity Leave coverage – 12 to 18Month Term.
Reporting to the Environmental Manager, the primary responsibilityfor this position is to achieve departmental annual objectives and targets andsupport the mine site operations team with the objective of meeting safety andproduction targets by ensuring compliance with environmental permit conditions,applicable legislation and agreements with stakeholders.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake environmental sampling and analysis to meet permit requirements.
- Collect and prepare air, water, and soil samples for shipment.
- Assist in Interpreting results of chemical, physical, and biological tests.
- Explain and interpret regulations and procedures to non-environmental staff.
- Propose actions for corrections necessary to comply with federal and provincial regulations.
- Prepare reports for supervisors and prepare annual reports.
- Develop and improve the Environmental Management System ensuring compliance with internal and external audit requirements.
- Assist with developing training packages including training consultants and new hires on environmental stewardship.
- Manage various consultants and contractors, including analyzing quotes.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Diploma in Environmental Technology, Biological Sciences Technology or related field
- 1-2 years of experience in a relevant field. Will consider other training and experience deemed equivalent.
- Experience working in all outdoor weather conditions is an asset.
- Experience operating UTV units.
- Experience with environmental tools and equipment.
- Experience with Risk Assessments and Safe Operating Procedures.
- Experience around swift water and other water environments.
- Mine Rescue or First Aid tickets are considered an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time.
- Strong coaching and motivational talent.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build strong working relationships, internally.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
Work Environment / Conditions
This position is required to make field visits around the mine property. He/she must be physically fit and have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer