Job Title: Environmental Technician
Location: Northeast BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The primary responsibility for this position is to support the mine site operations team with the objective of meeting safety and production targets by ensuring compliance with environmental permit conditions, applicable legislation and agreements with stakeholders.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia .
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementing and assisting with implementation of field environmental programs for water quality, hydrology, groundwater, climate and air quality, waste management, sediment, aquatic resources.
- Conducting environmental monitoring and sampling, and preparing reports as required by government reporting programs, e.g. NPRI
- Environmental data management, analysis and reporting
- Environmental site inspections of mining activities.
- Liaise with other department supervisors to ensure understanding of regulatory and environmental requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- The ideal candidate will have a Degree in Natural Sciences, Environmental Technology, Biological Sciences Technology or a related field.
- Eligible for Professional Designation (ie. P.Ag, R.P.Bio, CPESC, etc.)
- 1-2 years of experience in a relevant field. Conuma will consider other training and experience deemed equivalent.
Skills and Abilities
- Previous experience in a mining or industrial setting would be an asset
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel is required;
- Training in First Aid, Transportation of Dangerous Goods and WHIMS is desirable
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines;
- Possess strong problem-solving ability;
- Ability to fix field equipment and work under challenging environmental conditions;
- Ability to spot hazards at the work sites, which may put employees at risk; and
- Ability to be flexible to the needs of the company
Work Environment / Conditions
The candidate will be required to perform their job in a variety of settings, including offices and fieldwork. He/she must be physically fit and have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge (Wolverine Mine), Chetwynd (Brule and Willow Creek Mine) and Mackenzie, (Willow Creek Mine, BC)
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.