Job Title: Environmental Technician / Co-ordinator
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Environmental Technician and/or Co-ordinator’s primary role is to ensure Conuma Coal’s high environmental management standards are upheld, continually developed, and accurately reported to the company’s regulators and stakeholders.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design methodologies for environmental sampling and analysis to meet permit requirements.
- Interpret results of chemical, physical, and biological tests and document results.
- Trace chemical, physical, and biological pathways of environmental pollutants.
- Review and process applications for environmental permits or certification.
- Participate in and lead field investigations and inspections.
- Explain and interpret regulations and procedures to non-environmental staff.
- Propose actions for corrections necessary to comply with federal and provincial regulations.
- Interpret requirements for vegetation management including invasive species, and wildlife management.
- Preparation of environmental documents, such as Management Plans, Procedures, Guidelines and Schedules.
- Preparation of permit applications.
- Develop and improve the Environmental Management System ensuring compliance with internal and external audit requirements.
- Undertake GIS work.
- Participate in mine and reclamation planning.
- Develop and implement updated training packages including training consultants and new hires on environmental stewardship.
- Manage various consultants and contractors, including quotes and requisitions.
Qualifications and Experience
- A diploma from a technical college, or bachelor’s degree in a field such as environmental science.
- 3-5 years environmental experience in Resources or Mining (preferably Coal).
- Experience analysing environmental sample data and reporting results to regulatory bodies and stakeholders.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated safety and environmental leadership, in adherence to Conuma Coal’s company values.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines, pre-established targets and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of relevant provincial and federal legislation.
- A proven ability to develop and implement solutions to complex environmental issues and facilitate continuous improvement in performance.
Work Environment / Conditions
The candidate will be required to perform their job in a variety of settings, including offices and fieldwork. He/she must be physically fit and have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).