Job Title: Financial Analyst
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Financial Analyst shall be responsible for preparing financial and operational reporting and analysis for Conuma Coal Resources Limited as well as assisting in the preparation of monthly financial statements and supporting schedules.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather and compile financial and operational information and assist with the analysis.
- Proactive involvement in budgeting, forecasting, cost analysis, trend analysis, and strategic business planning for the mines.
- Aid with the monthly reporting for the business that includes variance to budget and forecasts.
- Assist the Accounting & Reporting Function in providing financial analysis and reporting to internal and external stakeholders in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participate in preparation of the budget and monthly forecast and work with business unit managers and their teams to finalise reports and resolve issues.
- Prepare fixed asset reporting schedules on a monthly basis and monitor all capital expenditure and the AFE process
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
Systems and Processes
- Comply with all Conuma Coal Resources HR, safety, technical, environmental, operating and business systems
- Ensure compliance with all relevant systems and provide the necessary governance to ensure system optimization and consistency throughout Conuma Coal Resources
- Provide feedback on the effectiveness of systems to continually improve performance and ensure the needs of the Business are met
- Strive for “Best Practices” in Financial Reporting and Management Accounting
- Contribute and oversee the delivery of Departmental plans through management of personal time and continuous improvement objectives
- Understand all contexts of responsibilities and ensure work is adequately completed
- Identify areas for self-development seeking ongoing education, support and performance feedback
- Foster collaborative relationships with Team Members, ensuring Conuma Coal Resources culture and values are promoted in all interactions
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree/diploma in Finance or Accounting.
- 2 to 3 years experience in general and/or cost accounting
Skills and Abilities
- The Financial Analyst must have strong financial, analytical and computer skills, be able to work quickly and independently and be able to communicate to all levels within the Business.
- Accountable self-starter and able to work independently.
- Operational metrics; variance and unit cost analysis skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with project costing or cost accounting.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish rapport with people at all levels of an organization.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to explain financial concepts to a non-financial audience.
- Advanced MS Office skills, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Sage 500 or 300 would be an added benefit.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.