Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Full time, permanent and casual positions available.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
The Brule Mine is an open pit metallurgical coal mine that produces a world class low volatile pulverized coal injection (LV-PCI) coal. It is located 45km south of Chetwynd, BC. Coal from Brule is transported by truck to the Willow Creek Mine for processing and shipping. The Wolverine mining complex is located approximately 25 km south of Tumbler Ridge, BC. It consists of an open pit metallurgical coal mine (LV-HCC), coal processing plant and a rail load-out facility capable of handling 3.5 million metric tons per year. The Willow Creek Mine is located 45 km west of Chetwynd, BC. It will consist of an open pit metallurgical coal mine, coal processing plant and a rail load-out facility. The mine will produce both LV-PCI and premium hard coking coal.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct theoretical and applied study of groundwater flow and contamination and develop prescriptions for site selection, treatment and construction
- Plan, develop, co-ordinate and conduct theoretical and experimental studies in mining exploration, mine evaluation and feasibility studies relative to the mining industry
- Manage and review the execution of job related duties such as; slope stability analysis & remediation, predictive modelling of open pit slope behavior, rock reinforcement design, buttress and slope corrections for open pits, stability analysis for tailings dams and heap leach piles
- Conduct surveys and studies of ore deposits, ore reserve calculations and mine design
- Design, develop and implement computer applications for geophysics, geochemistry, geology, mapping and related fields
- Supervise technologists, technicians and other engineers and scientists.
- Work in compliance with all Health and Safety rules and regulations
- Ensure all applicable safety codes, regulations and guidelines are met by appropriate design and use of technology
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor's degree in geological engineering or in a related discipline is required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practice as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeastern BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).