Job Title: HR Advisor
Location: Brule Mine (Chetwynd, BC), Willow Creek Mine (Chetwynd, BC), and Wolverine Mine (Tumbler Ridge, BC)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The HR Advisor is a mine site-based position that plays a key role in support of the Human Resource Manager. The HR Advisor will assist with all HR functions as needed.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements established programs including performance reviews, training and development, recruiting, compensation reviews, employee communication’s and benefit administration.
- Implements individual and HR team projects such as reward and recognition, retention, statistical analysis, and career development programs.
- Builds and maintains relationships between all mine departments and Human Resources to create awareness and understanding of HR strategies and philosophies.
- Works collaboratively with all departments, leading and/or partnering on the communication and implementation of new HR programs and initiatives.
- Provides information and advice regarding workforce planning, employee relations, workplace issues, workplace health and safety, and HR related legislation.
- Keeps current with changes to legislation such as Human Rights Act, Privacy Act, Employment Standards, and Health and Safety legislation.
- Conducts exit interviews, identifies key issues and trends and makes recommendations for improvement as appropriate.
- Monitors key HR metrics to identify operational level trends and strategic issues requiring action planning.
- Monitors the employee experience throughout the operations to identify employee relations issues and opportunities, recommends ideas and actions.
- Ensures the disability management program is effective, including short-term and long-term leaves, and in alignment with corporate objectives.
- Evaluates human resources policies and programs against operational and employee needs.
- Promotion of the corporate culture and values.
- Ensures consistent and fair application of policies.
- Liaises with supervisors to provide constructive discipline documentation and ensures proper processes are followed and records kept.
- Works with the HR administrator on new hires, benefits enrollment, tracking probations, new employee orientations, collection of survey information, vacation, in lieu days, etc.
- Liaises with Accounting on payroll changes and personnel records.
- Work with supervisors and managers to determine recruitment requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree/diploma in Human Resources Management. Equivalent experience and training will be considered.
- Completed or working towards a CHRP designation.
- Knowledge of legislation pertaining to employment.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio.
- Familiar with Human Resource Management Systems, experience with ADP.
- Familiar with recruitment software.
- Maintaining confidentiality is requirement of position.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Possess strong problem-solving ability, attention to detail.
- Ability to act with tact, good judgment, and discretion.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of files, personal information, and other matters, as appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy and sincerity.
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods.
- Ability to set example for rest of employees.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge (Wolverine), Chetwynd (Brule and Willow Creek) and Mackenzie (Willow Creek), BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).