Job Title: Human Resources Advisor
Location: Willow Creek Mine (Chetwynd, BC)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The HR Advisor will play a key role in being the main support to the Human Resource Manager, the HR Advisor will assist with transactional HR functions including the day to day administrative success of the human resources team.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Implements established programs such as the performance review cycle and compensation review cycle for operations
- Implements individual and HR team projects such as reward and recognition, retention, and career development programs
- Builds and maintains relationships between operations and Human Resources to create awareness and understanding of HR strategies and philosophies
- Works collaboratively with all operations, leading and/or partnering on the communication and implementation of new HR programs and initiatives
- Provides information and advice regarding workforce planning, employee relations, workplace issues, workplace health and safety, and HR related legislation
- Keeps current with changes to legislation such as Human Rights Act, Privacy Act, Employment Standards, and Health and Safety legislation
- Conducts exit interviews, identifies key issues and trends and makes recommendations for improvement as appropriate
- Monitors key HR metrics to identify operational level trends and strategic issues requiring action planning
- Monitors the employee experience throughout the operations to identify employee relations issues and opportunities, recommend ideas and actions
- Ensures the disability management for the operations including short-term and long-term in consultation with the regional HR manager
- Implements and evaluates human resources policies and programs against operational and employee needs
- Promotion of the corporate culture and values
- Ensures consistent and fair application of policies
- Liaises with supervisors to provide constructive discipline documentation and ensures proper processes are followed and records kept
- Works with the HR administration on new hires, benefits enrolment, tracking probations, new employee orientations, collection of survey information, vacation, in lieu days, etc.
- Liaises with Accounting on payroll changes and personnel records
- Work with supervisors and managers to determine recruitment requirements for operations
- Other duties as assigned
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Possess strong problem-solving ability, attention to detail
- Ability to act with tact, good judgment,and discretion
- Ability to maintain theconfidentiality of files, personal information, and other matters, as appropriate
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy and sincerity
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods
- Ability to set example for rest of employees
- A positive attitude and customer focused approach
- Good judgment, diplomacy and tact
- Ability to prioritize
Technical Competencies & Skills
- Excellent demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio.
- Familiar with Human Resource Management Systems, experience with ADP.
- Familiar with recruitment software.
- Maintaining confidentiality is requirement of position.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Degree/diplomain Human Resources Management. Equivalent experience and training will be considered
- Completed or working towards a CHRP designation
- Knowledgeof legislation pertaining to employment
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
NOTE: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level ofwork performed by incumbent within this classification. It is not designed tocontain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,responsibilities and qualifications required of incumbent assigned to the role.