Job Title: Industrial Hygienist
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Industrial Hygienist will work with all levels of the organization to identify, analyze and reduce the risk of occupational hazards through appropriate methods of control. The responsible person will lead in the development and implementation of health and safety programs in order to meet all company and legislative requirements.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibility
- Provide day-to-day technical advice, expertise and direction in order to ensure compliance to legislative requirements and to industry and company standards.
- Conduct workplace assessments to identify, quantify, and control risk.
- Assist in developing company programs and standards as they relate to workplace exposure monitoring, medical surveillance, and occupational health.
- Complete detailed IH technical reports supported with sampling and analysis of data to provide recommendations for appropriate controls or corrective action.
- Develop and deliver training to site personnel as required in areas of occupation health and safety.
- Miscellaneous other duties as assigned by the department head.
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree specializing in Industrial or Occupational Hygiene OR Bachelor of Science degree (acceptable equivalent training/experience will be considered).
- Certified industrial Hygienist (CIH), Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH), or other recognized designation preferred.
- Minimum of two years of work experience in Industrial Hygiene (equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered).
- Experience in industrial hygiene monitoring methods, assessments (including: chemicals, noise, heat stress, lighting, ventilation systems, ergonomics), and abatement/remediation activities.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of local industry and business practices.
- Excellent team player.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated competency in the industry.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.)
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).