Job Title: Journeyman / Journeywoman Heavy Duty Mechanic
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC & Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Full-time / Permanent - 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Safely and efficiently diagnose, troubleshoot, service and repair Conuma Coal’s large fleet of mining trucks and equipment.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s workplace policies and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high level of Environmental and Health and Safety performance; identify and report risks, near misses and incidents with the goal of supporting and developing Conuma’s excellent safety standards
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health, safety and environmental meetings and training.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair heavy mining equipment and ancillary equipment used in open pit coal mining; such as shovels, drills, haul trucks, loaders, dozers and excavators.
- Follow and comply with all safety, environmental, technical and HR procedures.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Respond to mechanical issues both in the maintenance shop and in the field.
- Use hand tools (e.g. wrenches, screwdrivers), air and impact tools (e.g. wrenches, drills), sledge hammers and hydraulic torque equipment.
- Operate materials handling equipment (e.g. hydraulic jacks and hoists, chains, overhead cranes, slings, come-a-longs), ladders, man-lifts, safety harness and lanyard, fork lifts, small loaders, and trucks to access field repairs.
- Report to the Maintenance Supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Journeyman / Journeywoman - 4 years technical training / experience.
- Mining experience preferred.
- Must be able to communicate (read/write/speak) effectively in English.
- Experience with OEM troubleshooting guides and systems preferred.
- Experience creating parts lists from OEM web-based systems such as Caterpillar SIS preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated, team player with a positive attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work 12 hour day and night shifts; on a 7 days on / 7 days off rotation.
- Stand/walk/weight bear up to 11 hours daily; occasionally on rough ground; climbing on and around equipment. Frequently bend, twist, reach, push and pull in awkward positions.
- Able to perform work at heights.
- Detail oriented with high attention for working safety.
- Able to work under considerable pressure with high consequence of error (safety and equipment).
- Knowledge of computer maintenance systems an asset.
- Willingness to work in adverse weather conditions.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd / Mackenzie
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal Resources provides comprehensive benefits including:
- $3.50/hr retention bonus paid every 6 months on all hours worked to active employees
- Paid vacation
- Extended healthcare
- RRSP Matching
- Up to $10,000 relocation allowance