Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Full-time
The Lab Technician is responsible for the processing and accurate analysis of process plant, environmental and geology-pit samples.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct routine and situational plant and environmental sampling and analysis
- Ensure safe and healthy working environment in the metallurgical laboratory
- Interact between laboratory supervisor, plant foreman, central control room operators, plant operators and engineering personnel
- Maintenance and calibration of key process instrumentation
- Including but not limited to processing rock and coal samples; crushing, pulverizing, sizing, and floating
- Performing routine quality control checks to ensure a high quality of work
- Recording and reporting test results on standardized forms and data capture reports
- Ensuring that the lab is clean/organized and equipment is maintained and operational
- Additional duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma, general education degree (GED) preferred
- Previous experience using a variety of geochemical instrumentation is a strong asset
- Supervision/management experience is a strong asset
- 1 to 3 months related experience and/or training in an industrial setting preferred
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clean abstract
Skills and Abilities
- Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples and lab equipment
- Strong computer skills, experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook mandatory
- Decision making, analytical and problem solving skills
- Literacy skills including the ability to read manuals and regulatory requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written in oral forms with all levels of management, including both internal and external departments
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels with both internal and external departments
- Ability to work under pressure and in stressful situations with a team environment and maintain effective time management
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously while dealing with conflicting requests and priorities
- Ability to act with integrity, good judgment, discretion. Mediation/dispute resolution skills an asset
- Ability to diagnose and trouble shoot problems
- Ability to show self-initiative, but also work in a team
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).