Job Title: Loss Prevention Coordinator
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Responsible for coordinating the implementation, maintenance and auditing of effective claims management and supporting occupational health and safety programs for designated entities and/or work groups. Maintains loss control systems with the goal of preventing/managing occupational health and safety related illnesses and injuries.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control;
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures.
- Provides leadership and recommendations regarding the design, implementation and administration of Health, Safety and Loss Prevention programs, initiatives, systems, including strategic plans, policies and procedures to build an organization-wide safety culture;
- Analysis of site trends related to health, safety and loss prevention performance and the reporting of these trend to internal and external stakeholders
- Ensures that contractors have fully integrated Health and Safety plans that meet company requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring continuous adherence to legal requirements, standards and organizational objectives.
- Coordinate the implementation of new systems or improvements, and monitor effectiveness taking best practice principles into account.
- Provides guidance and direction for exploration, construction and operational processes and activities including compliance with safety regulations and investigation of incidents; occupational health monitoring, evaluation and control.
- Monitors developments, trends and changes to legislation related to safety; evaluates impact on business operations and provides leadership for implementation of required changes.
- Conducts periodic Health and Safety audits of all business areas to determine compliance with policies and procedures; participates in annual corporate audits and closing out of actions.
- Implements and maintains Health and Safety management system; ensuring continuous improvement.
- Ensures training, awareness, improvement and orientation programs are in place for employees; ensures that contractors are familiar with and trained in relevant corporate and project Health and Safety Management System policies and procedures.
- Maintains risk matrix for all identified hazards at the site and ensure controls are adequately in place for critical risks
- Responsible for recruitment, supervision and development of direct reports; manages, supports, coaches and mentors site safety teams.
- Develops Health and Safety strategies and policies in conjunction with corporate standards
- Serves as management liaison with external agencies.
- Manage the site radiation safety and railway safety programs
- Compile and document monthly safety statistics.
- Formulate new safety policies and procedures as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or Bachelor's Degree in closely related field
- Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Radiation Safety Officer (RSO)
- Occupational First Aid Level 3
- BC Mine Rescue Certificate
- Training in claims management
- 10 years Health and Safety related experience within the mining (or related) industry
Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time
- Strong coaching and motivational talent
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Well versed in statutory mining regulations and regulatory agency structures
- Every employee is also expected to demonstrate commitment to safety, stewardship, integrity, personal responsibility, teamwork, and people development
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.