Job Title: Maintenance Manager
Location: Brule Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Maintenance Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating maintenance programs. The individual will manage cost-effective maintenance programs and optimize equipment availability and efficiency. Additionally, the individual will be responsible for developing and mentoring the maintenance staff.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement maintenance programs for mining equipment and machinery to assure maximum operating efficiency while maintaining compliance with company safety standards.
- Establish and improve preventative and predictive maintenance programs. Plan and manage outages for equipment utilization.
- Keep necessary maintenance records to update and enhance the preventive maintenance program. Monitor preventive maintenance programs and recommend improvements. Continually evaluate cost effectiveness.
- Contribute to the company profitability by developing, implementing and monitoring an efficient maintenance management program, completing projects in a timely, accurate and professional manner.
- Contribute to overall operational efficiency by overseeing maintenance needs assessments and facilitating communications between mining operations and company management with regard to meeting identified needs.
- Develop a maintenance safety program for the operating complex. Attention to safety will be first priority in developing policies and procedures.
- Work with Engineering, Purchasing, Accounting, and Operations on budgets and special projects; responsible to ensure necessary technical support is on site when necessary.
- Review, approve and participate in the development of new and updated schedules, cost forecasts and budgets for the maintenance department.
- Responsible for analyzing departmental budget cost variance reporting, and design and implement specific cost control measures to manage budget compliance. Ensure annual maintenance costs are at or below forecast costs while improving equipment availability.
- Develop and maintain a proactive business relationship with all vendors.
- Take immediate action in emergency cases, including injuries and equipment breakdown, and report these actions in a timely manner.
- Provide effective development and mentoring for maintenance staff.
- Evaluate maintenance staff and develop training programs.
Qualifications and Experience
A degree in mechanical or electrical engineering is preferred. Ten to fifteen years’ experience related to maintenance of surface mining equipment is required. Seven to ten years’ successful progressive management experience is also necessary. The successful candidate will have a strong background in predictive and preventive maintenance systems and will be computer literate.
Skills and Abilities
- Must have good administrative skills and be an effective organizer of both people and programs.
- A creative and innovative approach to cost control is essential.
- The ability to exercise sound business judgment, with a result and team orientation is necessary.
- Demonstrate, by example, a commitment to working safely and efficiently.
- Maintain a time and project management approach, completing tasks within time and cost criteria, and blending internally and externally controlled resources.
- Possess initiative to work under broad direction, giving priority to pressing issues while nurturing longer-term projects which will become important later.
- The individual must have excellent organization and communication skills.
- Must be a leader with the ability to foster strong camaraderie among team members and a high moral level in the work place.
- Be self-directed and highly motivated with the ability to organize projects, outline priorities, and direct the workflow in a results-oriented fashion.
- Demonstrate by example a commitment to excellence and hard work with a team approach toward accomplishment of goals.
The Maintenance Manager reports to the Mine Manager and supervises maintenance professionals.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd and Tumbler Ridge, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.