Job Title: Maintenance Manager
Location: Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Maintenance Manager’s primary purpose is to provide leadership to the maintenance department and to develop and mentor department personnel.The incumbent will work closely with the Mine Management to ensure safe and cost-effective operation of the mine.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal Resources workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control.
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures.
- Establish and improve preventative and predictive maintenance programs. Plan and manage outages for equipment utilization.
- Keep necessary maintenance records to update and enhance the preventive maintenance program. Monitor preventive maintenance programs and recommend improvements. Continually evaluate cost effectiveness.
- Coordinate the work of the Maintenance Department with the Operations Department to ensure the efficient performance of all company activities.
- Develop detailed plans, schedules and procedures for the systematic maintenance of all equipment.
- Provides operational and technical guidance to subordinates and guides them in the formulation of their plans, schedules and budgets.
- Programs the work of the maintenance department to obtain the most efficient utilization of plant and equipment.
- Prepares operating budgets, recommends capital budgets.
- Reviews progress of work and compares the actual results with the planned results; initiates corrective action as required.
- Establishes shop layout to ensure that the most effective arrangements of maintenance facilities and equipment is obtained.
- Sets up control procedures for all machine shops to ensure a smooth and efficient flow of work.
- Installs and operates a work order system. Obtains satisfactory explanations for the costs in excess of standards or estimates.
- Trains employees and installs work procedures to improve the efficiency of maintenance operations.
- Establishes performance standards for his immediate subordinates, compares actual performances against the standard and effects correction and training as required.
- Ensures that variances from budgeted expenses are investigated and initiates corrective action when required.
- Studies and develops improved methods of maintenance and revises periodically the program for systematic maintenance to improve the quality of the maintenance and reduce the cost.
- Remain up-to-date and abreast on industry activities and recommends the use of new techniques, methods and equipment to improve performance and reduce costs.
- Advises the GM, Operations and Departmental Managers of the economic benefits to be achieved by new techniques, machinery and equipment as these become available.
- Submit proposals for the purchase of new machinery and equipment in accordance with the capital and operating budgets.
- Coordinates the materials requirements with the Materials Manager and his staff to ensure an adequate supply of maintenance materials.
- Advises departments concerned of progress on major projects and overhauls as compared to approved plans.
- According to the established policy and procedure, develops and maintains up-to-date position guides for his immediate subordinates.
- Implements Corporation policy relating to management – employee relations.
- Keeps abreast of and passes on to his subordinates the objectives, policies and procedures of the Corporation.
- Ensures that all operating staff are familiar with their terms and conditions of employment.
- Develop and maintain a proactive business relationship with all vendors.
- Take immediate action in emergency cases, including injuries and equipment breakdown, and report these actions in a timely manner.
- Provide effective development and mentoring for maintenance staff.
- Evaluate maintenance staff and develop training programs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Engineer or Journeyperson with significant mining industry experience.
- Experience in a similar Maintenance Manager’s role.
- Experience managing large budgets.
- Experience driving cultural change and implementing proactive maintenance strategies.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement concepts in both operating plants and capital development projects.
Skills and Abilities
- A creative and innovative approach to cost control.
- Ability to exercise sound business judgment, with a result and team orientation is necessary.
- Commitment to demonstrate, by example, a commitment to working safely and efficiently.
- Excellent demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time.
- Strong coaching and motivational talent.
- Know and understand instruments/equipment safety standards.
- Well versed in statutory mining regulations and regulatory agency structures.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
Work Location / Travel
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer