Job Title: Maintenance Supervisor
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for supervising maintenance staff, and to ensure Conuma Coal’s equipment is maintained and repaired in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise maintenance staff and ensure that the Company’s equipment is maintained and repaired in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conduct daily tool box and monthly safety meetings, correcting any deficiencies as soon as possible.
- Maintain the highest level of housekeeping within the maintenance areas.
- Conduct incident investigations and have a copy in the managers hands within 12 hours.
- Supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of the assigned crew to effectively optimize the utilization of resources; man-power, tools, equipment, and parts towards the goal of optimum equipment availability.
- Ensure the highest availability of mining equipment and minimize equipment down time.
- Ensure that parts are ordered and monitored for down equipment.
- Ensure that computer information systems are being used correctly.
- Work with planning to ensure that the PM & work schedule is maintained according to plan and communicating otherwise.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid journeyman’s certificate, technologist certificate or engineering degree in a relevant discipline.
- Supervisory training.
- A minimum of three (3) years of maintenance supervisory experience in an open pit mining or similar environment.
- Five to seven years hands-on (non-supervisory) experience in the repairs and servicing of mining equipment.
- Experience with on-board diagnostics equipment.
- Experience in environmental management processes with particular reference to spill avoidance, containment and report.
- Use of computerized maintenance management systems and parts catalogues.
- Involvement in the implementation of safety programs would be an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Know and understand mine equipment safety standards.
- Competence in the maintenance and servicing of mobile mining equipment.
- Competence in the operation and maintenance of a maintenance facility and the tools and equipment involved.
- An understanding of short and long term planning objectives with the ability to prioritise.
- Ability to mentor employees and possess excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Possess strong problem-solving ability, with particular attention to the details.
- Build strong working relationships with employees and contractors and demonstrate integrity, empathy, sincerity and respect.
- Computer skills including the use of Microsoft software packages.
- Stress and time management skills.
- Literacy skills including the ability to read manuals and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to act and make decisions with integrity, good judgment, and discretion.
- Mediation/dispute resolution skills are an asset.
- Coordinate input from various sources as to equipment status and make technically sound decisions.
- Have a proven ability to motivate employees to work safely and achieve operational targets.
- Lead by example, posses a positive attitude and be a good ambassador for Conuma Coal and the maintenance department.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer