Job Title: Mechanical / Reliability Engineer
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Provide technical input and plans to the Maintenance department to ensure the reliability and availability of all facilities and equipment.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in Northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide safe, efficient and reliable mechanical engineering services to the Maintenance & Engineering Department and assist in achieving agreed maintenance plans and targets.
- Prepare maintenance plans and organise the supply and availability of spare parts
- Prepare detailed electrical designs / specifications and scopes of work
- Assist with specification and scoping of equipment overhauls
- Establish fit-for-purpose standards, systems and strategies to optimise the management of mechanical plant and equipment
- Ensure all projects and activities are in line with site policies and with the BC Mines Act.
- Prepare detailed technical specifications with regards to job instructions and procedures, labour, skill and equipment requirements, as well as safety management plans
- Manage projects, optimising the management and economic returns of mechanical plant and equipment and ensuring continuous improvements to the maintenance department.
- Manage and develop tools to assist the Maintenance Director with the yearly OPEX and CAPEX budget.
- In consultation with the Director of Maintenance identify feasibility options for new equipment purchases, develop technical specifications of new equipment and manage the assembly and commissioning of the equipment.
- Foster collaborative relationships with team members, ensuring that CCR’s culture and values are promoted in all interactions
- In consultation with the Director of Maintenance, manage the decommissioning of equipment and equipment records.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent as well as demonstrated Mechanical Engineering experience, preferably within mining, with a focus on equipment and preventative maintenance.
- Eligible for membership with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC. (APEGBC). P.Eng Preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional communication skills and an ability to liaise with all levels of the operation.
- Demonstrated experience contributing to a team of professionals to deliver against set targets
- Knowledge of relevant mining legislation
- In depth knowledge of Mobile Equipment
- A high level of planning and problem solving ability
- An understanding of key safety risks and ways to mitigate these
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).