Location: North-East British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Millwrights are responsible for inspecting, maintaining, repairing and/or replacing all of the plant machinery on site.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, repair, maintain, troubleshoot and adjust mechanical production process equipment
- Perform preventative maintenance on a wide variety of industrial process systems.
Qualifications and Experience
- Inter-Provincial Red Seal Endorsement
- 4-5 years of related industrial experience, preferably in maintenance.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid Driver’s License
Skills and Abilities
- Work effectively from drawings and manuals
- Manual dexterity
- Good vision (glasses are acceptable)
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good eye-hand coordination
- Able to concentrate on detailed work
90% indoors of which 10% would bench work, 10% outdoors (primary sizer area)
The millwrights spend about 70% of the day in the working areas of the plants, where floors are wet and slippery, as are catwalks, stairs and ladders. They are subject to fumes, dust, temperature changes (extreme when outdoors at primary sizer area or moving from plant to truck), uneven ground, and noise (above 80 db).
Critical Job Demands
- Stand, walk, climb carrying a tool bag for up to four hours at a time.
- Sustained awkward positions when inspecting or repairing machinery (reach, bend, twist, kneel).
- Constant use of arms and tools including situations requiring prolonged overhead work with an impact wrench with full arm extension.
- Manoeuvre heavy and awkward equipment manually a(lift, carry drag, push, pull and using assists such as cranes, comealongs, chain falls.
Equipment Used to Preform Job
- Hand tools e.g., impact wrench (18 lb), hose (10 lb), sockets (up to 35 lb), hydraulic jack (60 lb) and pipe wrench (35 lb).
- Pumps and parts (up to 120 lb), shackles (up to 80 lb).
- Tool bag (30 to 60 lb).
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in North-Eastern BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, North Eastern British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).