Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position
The Mine Foreman / Forewoman will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operation of the mine in a safe and efficient manner to achieve established production objectives within approved budgets, company guidelines and legal requirements.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee, plan and coordinate the mining operations to achieve safe, productive, and cost-effective results.
- Ensure maximum safety and efficiency throughout the mine.
- Provide input on mine budgets and monitor costs of supplies and equipment. Monitor performance against budgeted targets in terms of output and cost.
- Maintain awareness of all applicable federal, provincial and local regulations and ensure compliance.
- Supervise scheduling of all personnel and equipment to achieve high productivity.
- Ensure the safe operation of the mine through personal example, support of safety programs, and development of effective plans and procedures.
- Select and hire personnel as needed and provide development opportunities for all employees. Comply with personnel guidelines and procedures; conduct appraisals and recommend training, development, and promotions.
- Encourage support for positive employee relation’s activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- A BS in Mining Engineering or related discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in surface coal mining is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Superior managerial skills combined with the ability to develop and execute plans in a leadership role are necessary. Must be adept at motivating and obtaining results, leading by example with a participatory management style, and creating a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential, including the ability to interface with senior management and the hourly work force with equal ease.
- Ability to exercise sound business judgment with a bottom-line results orientation is necessary.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and desire to do things better, taking responsibility for decisions and actions, and insisting upon measurable results while moving business forward.
- Must be forward thinking, with the ability to make appropriate day-to-day decisions for the long-term benefit of the property and the company.
The Mine Foreman / Forewoman will report directly to the Mine Manager. There will be approximately 250 employees at this property.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetywnd and Mackenzie
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.