Job Title: Mine General Foreman / Forewoman
Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position (4 days on, 3 days off, 10 hrs per day – subject to change)
The Mine General Foreman / Forewoman’s primary purpose is to direct and schedule all mining personnel and equipment activities for each shift to minimize all sources of loss while optimizing resources and production objectives.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
Safety & Loss Prevention
- Ensure maximum safety and efficiency throughout the mine.
- Lead, monitor and approve incident investigations and loss prevention reports with a definite focus on root cause and prevention.
- Encourage the formation, monitor the progress and approve action teams to continuously seek improvements for health, safety, and productivity for all mine activity.
- Ensure the safe operation of the mine through personal example, support of safety programs, and development of effective plans and procedures.
Production & Operations
- Monitor and lead all aspects of operational activities, from drilling to reclamation, to meet the Company’s budget and statutory requirements in a safe and cost-effective manner.
- Provide input on mine budgets and monitor costs of supplies and equipment. Monitor performance against budgeted targets in terms of output and cost.
- Supervise scheduling of all personnel and equipment to achieve high productivity.
- Maintain awareness of all applicable federal, provincial and local regulations and ensure compliance.
- Oversee mine shifters role to ensure all operations are meeting their shift and daily safety and production goals.
- Continuously seek out new and innovative methods through technology to improve mine performance.
- Identify and prioritize all mine training activities using the Efficiency Engineers and mine site trainers to achieve targeted objectives in conjunction with the Mine Manager’s direction.
- Monitor deficiencies and prioritize with trainers to address the problem.
- Continuously work with HR and trainers to expand the cross-training of operators.
- Identify and improve shifter’s role and effectiveness to meet the Company’s goals and objectives
- Manage and monitor daily operator assignments to meet the Company’s daily budget targets.
- Work with HR to manage the daily attendance requirements including all absenteeism requirements.
- Continuously seek to minimize employee overtime but achieve the production goals and objectives.
- Monitor and continuously seek to improve employee morale.
- Daily monitor coal quality pit practices to ensure they adhere to company policy as outlined in Conuma’s coal quality program.
- Lead and manage the daily, weekly and monthly coal quality audit records.
- Monitor and manage daily coal production to maximize “in-pit” recoveries.
- Ensure and manage that each coal pit achieves the desired coal quality while maximizing the direct ship and minimizing high ash (pit cleanings).
Mine Management Interactions
- Work with Mine Manager to improve mine health, safety and productivity.
- Share “best practices” between crews and inter-company.
- Ensure all mine activity meets or exceeds all statutory requirements for health, safety and environmental.
- Work with maintenance department for all planning and scheduling of equipment to ensure optimal availability and reduce downtime.
- Ensure that equipment is operated in a safe and efficient manner without damage or unnecessary delays.
- Continuously monitor and correct any delay issues that negatively impact meeting mine objectives.
- Select and hire personnel as needed and provide development opportunities for all employees. Comply with personnel guidelines and procedures; conduct appraisals and recommend training, development, and promotions.
- Encourage support for positive employee relation’s activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- A BS in Mining Engineering or related discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in surface coal mining is required.
- Valid BC Shift Boss Certificate
Skills and Abilities
- Superior managerial skills combined with the ability to develop and execute plans in a leadership role are necessary. Must be adept at motivating and obtaining results, leading by example with a participatory management style, and creating a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential, including the ability to interface with senior management and the hourly work force with equal ease.
- Ability to exercise sound business judgment with a bottom-line results orientation is necessary.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and desire to do things better, taking responsibility for decisions, actions, and insisting upon measurable results while moving business forward.
- Must be forward thinking, with the ability to make appropriate day-to-day decisions for the long-term benefit of the property and the company.
The Mine Foreman / Forewoman will report directly to the Mine Manager. There will be approximately 250 employees at this property.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd and Mackenzie, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.