Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Number of Vacancies: One (1)
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position
The Mine Manager will have overall responsibility for the Willow Creek mine, prep plant, and loadout facility with a focus of maximizing efficiency, safety and profitability, consistent with company values, strategic objectives, and good, long-term business practices.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the safe and productive operation of the mine through personal example, support of safety programs, and development of effective plans and procedures. Utilize regular inspections of mine to ensure safety performance and production practices.
- Improve productivity to maximize production and profitability.
- Develop an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork through effective communication and team building activities.
- Formulate operating plans to meet the long- and short-term objectives of the company. The plans include yearly operating levels, operating costs, mine development, capital requirements, cost improvements, and personnel requirements.
- Hire, develop, direct, motivate, and maintain an effective organization.
- Develop, implement and execute the overall safety, mining, maintenance and cost control plans for the mine.
- Develop short and long-range production schedules and, through effective supervision of subordinates, ensure adherence to these schedules.
- Develop operating budgets and monitor costs of all supplies, equipment and labor. Monitor performance against budgeted targets in terms of output and cost to ensure maximum profitability.
- Maintain awareness of all applicable federal, provincial, and local regulations and ensure compliance through inspections, audits, housekeeping standards and violation reduction programs.
- Monitor operating practices, ensuring the maintenance of adequate methods and controls. Regularly compare performance against budgeted targets in terms of output and cost. Provide diligent oversight to ensure that the company’s interests are well represented.
- Oversee, plan and coordinate the mining and preparation activities to achieve safe, timely, and cost-effective results.
Qualifications and Experience
A B.S. in Mining Engineering is required; an MBA degree or other management training is preferred. Ten years of progressive management experience in the coal mining industry is necessary, as is experience in surface operations.
Skills and Abilities
- A thorough working knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code and its applicable supplements
- Adept at motivating and obtaining results, leading by example with a participatory management style.
- Ability to exercise sound business judgment with a results and team orientation are necessary.
- An outstanding communicator who speaks, writes, and listens well. The individual must place value on sharing information and common goals, maintaining an environment of honesty, openness, and energetic exchange.
- A strategic thinker who seeks opportunities to improve personal and organizational performance, while maintaining a hands-on approach to management.
- A strong decision-maker, who does not become mired in details, yet seeks broad input when making decisions.
- A high ethical standard of personal and professional conduct; an individual who “keeps their word” and trusts their team to operate in the best interest of the company.
- An individual who can control and reduce operating costs while insuring quality and reliability.
- A resilient, creative, and adaptable manager who is able to achieve objectives in spite of changing situations and circumstances.
- Comfortable with a no-nonsense, results-oriented approach to business.
- Ability to perform under pressure without compromising the quality of decisions is essential.
- Demonstrate, by example, a commitment to working safely and efficiently.
- Forward thinking, with the ability to make appropriate day-to-day decisions relative to safety, production, maintenance, and costs for the benefit of the property and the company.
The Mine Manager will report directly to the Director, Mines. Reporting directly to this position will be the Mine Foreman, Prep Plant Manager, and Maintenance Manager.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in North-Eastern BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, North Eastern British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).