Location: Brule Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position
The Mine Technician provides technical support, drawings and survey data to assist mine operations.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to mine operations in an active pit.
- Surveying of an operating pit, duties include month end survey reconciliation, pit topographic updates drawings and map generation.
- Work closely with other members of the engineering and operations department to gain an understanding of the mining process in an active pit.
- Assist in designing and supervising of the blast hole drilling and analyzing data.
- Staking blast hole patterns and pit work area face pickups
- Installing and surveying pit wall monitoring systems.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Technician Diploma and/or
- 1+ year working experience in similar roles within the mining industry will be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods.
- A positive attitude and customer focused approach.
- Ability to prioritize and work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access.
- Knowledge in Mine Modeling Software, such as AutoCAD, and Minescape.
- Knowledge of surveying.
- Ability to use survey instruments and do surveying.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.