Job Title: Mining Engineer
Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Mining Engineer is responsible for providing life of mine (LOM) and strategic long-range mine planning (SLMP), pit optimization and design feasibility studies, equipment selection and budget preparation.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Full life-cycle planning of existing and new sites
- Prepare capital and operating cost estimates for study documents and regulatory applications.
- Providing the technical input into the mining operation
- This role will also require training of more junior engineers, clear focus on best HSE practices and cross functional team work with internal and external groups.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc. Mining Engineering.
- P. Eng. or on track towards P. Eng.
- Minimum 5-8 years of progressive experience in mine design and engineering with demonstrated experience in feasibility study work with current mine modelling software ideally coupled with experience in an operating mine environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to handle a large and varied workload
- Good interpersonal, verbal, written, and problem solving communication skills
- Experience in all types of mining, but with coal open pit being preferred;
- Experience with computerized mine planning software, planning for new mines or mine production and operations, but Mincom-Minescape modelling preferred;
- Forward thinking (out-of-the box) with ability to contribute at a strategic level
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd and Mackenzie, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).