Job Title: EIT Intern (12 month contract)
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: As soon as possible
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full-time (40 hours/week), contract position
The Mining Engineer in Training Intern is responsible for learning aspects of the seven key areas of mining engineering (short-range planning, drill and blast, geotechnical, efficiency processes, coal quality and geology, surveying and permitting) while supporting the engineering department.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To get a solid knowledge of aspects of the seven areas of mining engineering through our EIT Intern Program
- To be willing to learn and develop as an EIT and working towards their P.Eng.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc. Mining Engineering.
- EIT working towards their P. Eng.
Skills and Abilities
- The drive to want to learn the seven key areas of mining engineering as outlined in Primary Purpose
- Good interpersonal, verbal, written, and problem-solving communication skills
- Have some experience with computerized mine planning software (planning for new mines, mine production and operations), but familiarity with Minesight Mine Planning software preferred
- Forward thinking, being able to think outside the box, with ability to contribute to the team
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge, Chetwynd and Mackenzie, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.