Job Title: Payroll Supervisor
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Reporting to the Site Controller, The Payroll Supervisor is responsible for managing the company’s payroll process, supervising the payroll team and implementing procedures to streamline processes to provide an efficient and accurate payroll service.
As Payroll Supervisor, you will work closely with all departments to ensure all payroll related changes are completed in a timely manner and ensure that company policies and procedures are properly followed.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the payroll process for approximately 900 hourly and salary employees in both Canada and the United States.
- Prepare and process corporate and shareholder payroll
- Provide leadership and direction to a team of 3 Payroll Coordinators
- Review accuracy of payroll liabilities (CRA, WCB, IRS, health plans and savings plans)
- Provide clear guidance to all managers relating to payroll matters.
- Identify, develop, and implement new and innovative practices to streamline processes and provide improved client services (ie: overtime reporting, vacation tracking)
- Implement improved controls and governance process for payroll to ensure robustness of wage, salary, tax and benefit calculations and payments.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in payroll and benefits administration of which at least 1 year has been in a leadership capacity with accountability for year-end processing and tax form filing
- Extensive knowledge of BC labour standards
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now and Microsoft Excel (database building would be an asset)
- Experience processing both Canadian and US payroll
Skills and Abilities
- Available to travel within North East BC to various work locations
- Ability to review ADP provided journal entries for cost coding accuracy and import to an ERP
- Driven – strives to do what needs to be done without outside direction; shows genuine willingness to be held accountable for successes and failures.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize diverse requirements.
- Quick creative and technical thinking with attention to detail.
- Proven track record of high productivity, the ability to work effectively under pressure and ensure deadlines are met.
- Demonstrate an ability to maintain discretion and strict confidentiality.
- Excellent mathematical and written / verbal English communication skills.
- Committed to the ongoing development of themselves and those on their team.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).