Job Title: Permitting & Exploration Manager
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When Filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full-time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Permitting and Exploration Manager’s main responsibility is to oversee the permitting affairs of Conuma Coal. You will ensure that all major permitting requirements for our existing operations and upcoming projects are met and meet regulatory requirements. Also, as the Permitting Manager, you will continue to develop a strong relationship with all levels of government, First Nations and our local communities. You will act as a mentor to other members of the Conuma team to increase our permitting bench strength. This position will report to the Vice President of Technical Services.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure that Conuma Coal is in regulatory compliance with all levels of government for new and existing mines, regarding obtaining and retaining all permits required to operate.
- Lead all regulatory reporting and documentation requirements for applying for new mine sites to all levels of government.
- Keeping senior executive and managers updated on the status of all new permit applications and any changes to the regulatory and permitting requirements.
- To continue to build even stronger relationships with all levels of government.
- Lead by example a safe work environment.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Engineering (Environmental, Geotechnical, Civil) or Environmental Sciences, Hydrology or equivalent experience
Skills and Abilities
- Seven years of experience with Permits and Regulatory compliance with two years in a leadership position.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, written, and problem-solving communication skills.
- Strong team building and mentoring skills.
- Mining, Oil and Gas or Heavy Industry experience will be preferred.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).