Job Title: Pit Geologist
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The primary role of the Pit Geologist is to give guidance to the mining operations team to ensure quality targets are met.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health and Safety
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control;
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures;
- Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, near misses, accidents, incidents, injuries environmental spills and property damage at the workplace; and
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health and safety meetings and training.
- Maintain a high level of environmental performance;
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s environmental policy, work standards, management plans and regulatory obligations and requirements;
- Integrate environmental policies, programs, and practices into all tasks and activities; and
- Maintain environmental awareness by attending meetings and actively participate in planned environmental programs and drills.
- Liaise with mine operations personnel to ensure the correct coal is mined to meet processing plant requirements;
- Work closely with mine planning engineers in developing mining schedules and mine plans;
- Additional responsibilities will include coal reconciliations, maintaining geological database and conducting in-pit drilling programs;
- Updating the geological model with pit and field mapping and drill hole data on a timely basis;
- Support the Mine Engineering and Mine Operations departments with up to date coal quality and coal seam dig plans
- Involvement in exploration programs onsite and in development projects; and
- Other duties as required.
- BSc or graduate degree in Geology;
- Minimum of two years’ geological operations experience in resource development, preferably in coal mining.
- Knowledgeable in computerized resource modeling and Microsoft office software
Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of coal strata and open pit coal mining methods;
- Good understanding of structural geology; and
- Familiarity with mine modeling software such as MineSight
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills; and
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate good listening skills, a positive attitude and be a team player
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, deadlines and think outside the box
Work Environments / Conditions
This position is required to make field visits to other areas of the mine property. He/she must have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle. Some requirements for this position include: Lifting, climbing stairs and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.