Job Title: Pit Geologist
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The primary role of the Pit Geologist is to give guidance to the mining operations team to ensure quality targets are met.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health and Safety
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control;
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures;
- Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, near misses, accidents, incidents, injuries environmental spills and property damage at the workplace; and
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health and safety meetings and training.
- Maintain a high level of environmental performance;
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s environmental policy, work standards, management plans and regulatory obligations and requirements;
- Integrate environmental policies, programs, and practices into all tasks and activities; and
- Maintain environmental awareness by attending meetings and actively participate in planned environmental programs and drills.
- Liaise with mine operations personnel to ensure the correct coal is mined to meet processing plant requirements;
- Work closely with mine planning engineers in developing mining schedules and mine plans;
- Additional responsibilities will include coal reconciliations, maintaining geological database and conducting in-pit drilling programs;
- Updating the geological model with pit and field mapping and drill hole data on a timely basis;
- Support the Mine Engineering and Mine Operations departments with up to date coal quality and coal seam dig plans
- Involvement in exploration programs onsite and in development projects; and
- Other duties as required.
- BSc or graduate degree in Geology;
- Minimum of two years’ geological operations experience in resource development, preferably in coal mining.
- Knowledgeable in computerized resource modeling and Microsoft office software
Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of coal strata and open pit coal mining methods;
- Good understanding of structural geology; and
- Familiarity with mine modeling software such as MineSight
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills; and
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate good listening skills, a positive attitude and be a team player
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, deadlines and think outside the box
Work Environments / Conditions
This position is required to make field visits to other areas of the mine property. He/she must have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle. Some requirements for this position include: Lifting, climbing stairs and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).