Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
The Pit Shifter’s primary purpose is to direct and schedule all mining personnel and equipment activities for each shift to minimize all sources of loss while optimizing resources and production objectives.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Mine Foreman to devise effective crew mine plans that meet or exceed daily production targets levels in a safe and cost-effective manner.
- Optimize crew and operator placement to insure all daily production targets are met.
- Continuously monitor throughout the shift operations and make adjustments as conditions change.
- Work with and assist the Efficiency Engineers and mine site trainers to achieve targeted objectives.
- Continuously work to expand the cross-training of operators.
- Identify and communicate operator deficiencies to the Mine Foreman with the goal to improve their role and effectiveness to meet the Company’s goals and objectives.
- Implement and monitor daily operator assignments making adjustments as necessary to meet the Company’s daily budget targets.
- Monitor and report the daily attendance requirements including all absenteeism.
- Accurately record employee time and payroll information.
- Accurately and timely record crew and production reports.
- Monitor and continuously seek to improve employee morale.
- Daily monitor coal quality pit practices to insure they adhere to company policy as outlined in the Company’s coal quality program.
- Manage the daily, weekly and monthly coal quality audit records.
- Manage daily coal production to maximize “in-pit” recoveries.
- Manage that each coal pit achieves the desired coal quality while maximizing the direct ship and minimizing high ash (pit cleanings).
Incident Investigations and Loss Prevention Reports
- Lead all investigations with a definite focus on root cause and prevention.
- Lead and participate in action teams to continuously seek improvements for health, safety, and productivity for all mine activity.
- Continuously seek, encourage and foster methods to improve health, safety and productivity improvements.
- Use the Misom system as a tool to monitor and manage the daily production and meet or exceed daily production requirements.
- Encourage and assist all equipment operators in the use and understanding of the Misom system.
- Use this information to improve operator’s performance in a positive manner.
Drill Terrain Software
- Encourage and assist drillers to use and understand the Drill Terrain system.
- Monitor and manage individual drill operator performance to improve performance.
Mine and Company Management
- Work with Mine Management to improve mine health, safety and productivity.
- Share “best practices” between crews and inter- company.
- Insure all mine activity meets or exceeds all statutory requirements for health, safety and environmental.
- Work with maintenance department for all planning and scheduling of equipment to insure optimal availability and reduce downtime.
- Insure that equipment is operated in a safe and efficient manner without damage or unnecessary delays.
- Continuously seek to improve operator and shift performance.
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid BC Shift Boss Certificate.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience in an open-pit mining environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Technical competency in mine operations standards, policies, procedures and processes.
- Ability to take full responsibility with minimum supervision for safety, production and quality of mine operations.
- Ability to interpret drill plans and effectively communicate to drill and blast work group.
- Detailed knowledge of mine equipment safety standards.
- Understanding of short and long-term planning objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy and sincerity.
- Possess strong problem-solving ability
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods.
- A positive attitude and customer focused approach.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Be an excellent team player with ability to act with good judgment, diplomacy, tact, and discretion.
- Mediation/dispute resolution skills are an asset.
- Proven ability to build and sustain strong working relationships, internally and externally.
- Be an excellent ambassador for the company and set a great example for other employees.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).