Job Title: Plant Maintenance Supervisor
Location: Wolverine Mine, Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Directs Plant/Fixed Maintenance crews in the installation, repair and preventive maintenance of equipment used throughout the plant, facilities, utilities and powerhouse equipment. Oversees plant maintenance in order to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flows running at maximum efficiency to ensure balance, recovery and quality of coal is produced for marketable sales to our customers.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all maintenance activities are carried out safely and according to company policies and legislation.
- Leads teams of Millwrights, Welders, and Electricians in predictive & preventative maintenance and machine repair.
- Conduct the daily toolbox meetings reviewing safety items and concerns.
- Assign field work and ensure that the scope of work is reviewed and understood by all maintenance personnel and operators assigned to the job.
- Responsible for the development, planning and implementation through ERP system of Conuma’s maintenance strategy with the focus being: Prevention and Predictive Maintenance, TPM, SOP’s, safety, best practices and Continuous Improvement.
- Ensures maintenance is scheduled in a timely manner and works closely with operations to schedule and accomplish equipment and facility repairs.
- Develops and/or maintains Key Performance Indicators set out by management for tracking and reporting the performance of plant equipment and ensures contractor management for maintenance activities are overseen directly and terms executed according to quote and scope.
- Provides long term solutions to ensure that Conuma’s maintenance strategy remains fluid and changes, when needed, to environmental and production targets as the company grows.
- Trains employees on proper work methods and safety procedures.
- Ensures tasks are completed in accordance with company policies and regulations.
- Maintains accurate records of maintenance work performed and inventory levels to ensure the proper parts readily available through the warehouse.
- Ensure the integrity of all written documentation, including but not limited to, employee disciplinary actions, contractor time sheets, PM inspection sheets, work orders, requisitions, employee timecards, incident and accident investigations are up to date and timely and correctly submitted.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid journeyman’s certificate, technologist certificate or engineering degree in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum of three (3) years of maintenance supervisory experience.
- Five to seven years hands-on (non-supervisory) experience in maintenance.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement concepts in both operating plants and capital development projects.
- Experience driving cultural change and implementing proactive maintenance strategies.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals.
- A sound understanding of statistical concepts and knowledge/experience in cost improvement processes.
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time effectively.
- Strong coaching and motivational talent.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Well versed in statutory mining regulations and regulatory agency structures.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to safety, stewardship, integrity, personal responsibility, teamwork, and people development.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer