Job Title: Project Engineer
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule/ Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Reporting to the Director of Capital Projects (Project Manager),the Project Engineer will assist in the planning and construction of infrastructure and facilities in Conuma Coal owned mines and mine expansion programs. The Project Engineer will assist the Director of Capital Projects in all areas of project planning and management to ensure delivery of high-quality projects which meet defined goals, budget and schedule.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project & Construction Management
- Assist with development and management of scope, budget and schedule for third-party engineering and construction contracts.
- Responsible for tracking and documenting project issues and resolutions during all project phases, including RFI process between Owner, Contractors, and Engineers.
- Assist in preparing project schedules and budgets
- Assist with development of tendering documents
- Assist in preparation of required project status reports
- Assist with execution planning, including site logistics and temporary infrastructure
- Attend and provide constructive participation in project meetings
- Monitor resource requirements and assist in coordination of staff input as required
- Assist in the development of required project controls systems and processes (schedule and budget)
- Ensure that Change Management process are implemented and managed accordingly
- Assist in the development and management of project specific Quality Assurance and Commissioning programs.
- Function as overall Project Manager for small to medium sized capital projects (Approx. $1M - $25M)
- Continuous Improvement and Regulatory
- Provide technical and project management support to the Permitting and Regulatory department during early planning and permitting activities.
- Assist various Conuma departments with guidance and support during planning and implementation of larger continuous improvement projects.
- Assist in the development and improvement of operational systems, policies and procedures required to advance Conuma Coal Resources towards becoming a world class metallurgical coal supplier.
Qualifications and Experience
- Engineering degree in civil, mechanical, mining or related discipline.
- Minimum of 7 years of project engineering/management in large mining or heavy civil capital projects
- Project Management Certification would be considered an asset
- Overseas and local direct experience in Design, Construction and Management of civil and other capital projects, project and enterprise management.
Skills and Abilities
- Functional experience with contract development and administration.
- Strong report writing skills.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office programs
- High degree of scheduling software (Primavera P6 preferred).
- Ability to develop appropriate schedule and cost control structures from baseline budget and schedules.
- The ability to review progress and identify corrective actions required to achieve project success.
- Comfort and capability in pursuing business focused collaboration on a Group wide basis
- Strong commitment to value and data-based decision making
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports and other presentation material
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and ideas in a clear and concise manner in both formal and informal contexts.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is available
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer