Job Title: Quality Control Technician
Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Full-time
The Quality Control Technician is responsible for the routine collection/testing of materials, as well as the adherence of all testing methods.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct routine and situational analysis of materials;
- Compile all reports in a timely and accurate manner
- Communicate test results in a timely manner to the QC Supervisor and properly document in database;
- Ensure housekeeping standards are maintained in and around the lab;
- Inspect, calibrate and maintain testing equipment periodically;
- Inspect stockpiles, material sources and trains at the plant sites;
- Monitor the construction of stockpiles to ensure that segregation and contamination is kept to a minimum;
- Additional duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum High school diploma is required but degree or diploma (or equivalent) in Chemistry/Geology related field is preferred
- Previous quality control experience using a variety of instrumentation is a strong asset.
- Completed Quality Control Technician Certification would be an asset.
- 1 to 3 months related experience and/or training in an industrial setting preferred.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clean abstract
Skills and Abilities
- Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples and lab equipment.
- Strong computer skills, experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook mandatory
- Decision making, analytical and problem solving skills;
- A willingness to learn new analytical tests, instrumentation and procedures
- Literacy skills including the ability to read manuals and regulatory requirements;
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written in oral forms with all levels of management, including both internal and external departments;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels with both internal and external departments;
- Ability to work under pressure and in stressful situations with a team environment and maintain effective time management;
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously while dealing with conflicting requests and priorities.
- Ability to act with integrity, good judgment, discretion. Mediation/dispute resolution skills an asset.
- Ability to diagnose and trouble shoot problems;
- Ability to show self-initiative, but also work in a team.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available