Job Title: Road Foreman / Forewoman
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full-time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The individual will be responsible for the efficient day to day operations of the coal haul operations (trucking), and the maintenance of the haul roads used to transport the coal between our mining operations and the coal handling and preparation plants / rail load-out facilities. In such duties the individual will plan, supervise and control the production and maintenance activities associated with the coal haul, as well as coordinate the crushing and screening operations to ensure adequate inventory levels and qualities are maintained (ready to be hauled).
He/She will also be developing and maintaining the relationships needed in order to drive performance as planned, by liaising with relevant stakeholders from the operations, maintenance, processing plants, government and public.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To oversee the coal haul performance on a day to day basis and to develop, execute and control the operational plans needed to be achieve the desired results.
- To provide direction and control of the overall haul road maintenance activities to ensure that minimum standards are maintained, in terms of safe and productive coal hauling operations.
- To liaise with stakeholders from operations, maintenance and the processing plant to plan and schedule the production shifts of the relevant crushing, screening and loading operations, taking into consideration the inventory levels and coal qualities.
- To maintain the specifications & standards as stipulated in existing road use agreements, liaise regularly with road permit holders and other stakeholders to address issues and concerns.
- To ensure that the relevant contractors have implemented and adheres to a safety management system and abides by the emergency response procedures as guided by Conuma.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualification in Highway Maintenance (Lvl 2 NVQ Diploma) would be advantageous.
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in planning, directing, executing and controlling work and supervising diverse work teams.
- Experience and knowledge of roadway maintenance and contractor management in terms of operational and safety performance.
- Knowledge of the BC Forest Service Roads permitting process.
Skills and Abilities
- The ability to exercise professionalism and sound judgement when dealing with all levels of management and contractors, as well as other stakeholders which may include government, communities we serve, road-users forums and committees, etc.
- The ability to effectively manage constantly changing priorities.
- Sound planning, organizing, leading and controlling skills
- The ability to work with various departments (operations, maintenance, processing plants) and integrate the production, crushing and hauling planning and requirements to deliver against the targets.
- To be energetic and self-motivated with strong interpersonal, verbal, written communication skills and to be able to problem-solve.
- Forward thinking, being able to think out of the box, with ability to contribute to the team.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to email@example.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).