Job Title: Shovel Operator
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
The Shovel Operator will be responsible for providing support to mine operations in an active open pit coal mine.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to operate a range of hydraulic shovels including Hitachi 8000, 5500, 3600, Komatsu 4000 & LeTourneau 1350
- Operate pit front shovel to excavate overburden waste rock and coal from the mine
- Load trucks with material
- Operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner, perform pre-trip checks and complete FLHA's on a regular basis
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 2+ years in a mining environment
- Recent working experience in similar roles within the mining industry, experience in hard rock preferred
- Valid driver's license preferred
Skills and Abilities
- First Aid/Mine Rescue Training is considered an asset
- Physically fit with the ability to perform physical labor
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to learn
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.