Job Title: Surveyor
Location: Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
The objective for this role is to support the operations in achieving targets by completing survey activities including the layout and pickup of drilling, blasting and digging areas.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare layout and pick up of drilling and blast patterns, as well as loading and dumping areas
- Prepare pit dewatering layouts
- Conduct wall monitoring
- Provide reports to supervisors regarding feedback on loading and dumping areas
- Record and store data. Update drawings using AutoCAD and Minesite
- Assist with mine planning projects
Qualifications and Experience
- A Diploma in Survey Technician or Survey Engineering or equivalent experience
- Previous field surveying experience is an asset
- Experience with GPS equipment and surveying software
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use survey instruments and do surveying
- Knowledge and experience using a total station and GPS
- Effective time management, planning and communications skills
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods
- Able to work independently as well as function as an effective team member
- Attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- Experience with Mine Modelling Software, such as AutoCAD, and Minesite
Work Environment and Conditions
Requirements for this position include: Lifting, walking on uneven ground, and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
Work Locations / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd / Mackenzie, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).