- Wolverine Mine - Tumbler Ridge, BC
- Brule Mine - Chetwynd, BC
- Willow Creek Mine, Chetwynd, BC
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time, permanent position
Day and night heavy-duty mechanics who operate in the truck shop. They drive or push the equipment needing maintenance into the service bay from where it was parked just outside; work on the equipment and drive it out to the lot for pickup.
3 day, 2 night field runners who operate 50% to 70% of the time outdoors, at the location on the property where the equipment needs maintenance. This can be several km away.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair heavy mining equipment, ancillary equipment used in open pit coal mining; such as shovels, drills, haul trucks, loaders, dozers and excavators.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives
- Respond to mechanical issues both in the maintenance shop and in the field.
- Report to Maintenance Supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- Uncertified - 8000 hours experience in the trade
- Mining experience preferred
- Must be able to communicate (read/write/speak) effectively in English
Skills and Abilities
- Truck shop: Stand/walk/weightbear up to 11 hours daily; occasionally on rough ground; climbing on/around equipment
- Field Runner: Drive up to an hour one way; up to 6 hours over a day otherwise walking on uneven ground outdoors and climbing on/around equipment.
Equipment used to perform job:
- The typical heavy duty mechanic tools including hand tools (e.g., wrenches, screwdrivers), air and impact tools (e.g., wrenches, drills) and sledge hammers.
- Materials handling equipment (e.g., hydraulic jacks and hoists, chains, overhead cranes, slings, come-a-longs), ladders, man-lifts, safety harness and lanyard, truck to access field.
- Other supplies and equipment: Any part needing replacement, repair or removal for access.
Truck shop: Noise of heavy equipment tools, dust, exhaust, cement floors, frequently near moving equipment or parts, frequently working from heights, continuous standing/walking/weightbearing, frequent bend/twist/reach/push/pull combinations in awkward postures, time pressure for repairs with high consequence of error (safety and assets); high attention to safety required (and noted). Job observed directly.
Field: Extreme weather conditions (e.g., temperature, precipitation, wind, visibility), variable and extreme walking and driving conditions (e.g., rock, mud, ice, snow - any conditions extremely uneven at times), frequently near moving equipment or parts, frequently driving, frequent bend/twist/reach/push/pull combinations in awkward postures while outdoors; time pressure for repairs with high consequence of error (safety and assets); high attention to safety required. Field job not directly observed.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in North-Eastern BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, North Eastern British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available
Wage and Benefits
$44.55 - $45.44/hr
Conuma Coal provides comprehensive benefits including:
- Paid vacation
- Extended healthcare
- RRSP matching
- Up to $10,000 relocation allowance
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).