Job Title: Wireless Network Specialist
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The Wireless Network Specialist shall be responsible for supporting the Information Technology (IT) wireless, communication and network administration functions for Conuma Coal Resources Limited.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate must have strong IT, Wireless/wired network, and network administration skills to support an effective IT Department and IT/IM vendors in delivering a robust and comprehensive IT framework for this growing mining business.
- Responsible for LAN, WAN, WLAN, VOIP and WWAN design and implementation.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining field area networks on Breadcumb/InstaMesh networking software and related solar trailer and fixed points.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining point to point (PMP) radio networks.
- Responsible for providing tier 2 and tier 3 support to all users/applications and services within the environment.
- Responsible for vendor management, project management for the implementation and maintenance of networking technologies.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining VOIP phone systems and services.
- Responsible for providing first response and full remediation support to critical network outages, and after hours. On call work is expected.
- This role involves regular collaboration interactions with, and receipt of guidance from, other IM team members and project teams throughout the enterprise.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining network security.
- Other duties as required.
Systems and Processes
- Comply with all Conuma Coal Resources HR, safety, technical, environmental, operating and business systems.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant systems and provide the necessary governance to ensure system optimization and consistency throughout Conuma Coal Resources.
- Provide feedback on the effectiveness of systems to continually improve performance and ensure the needs of the Business are met.
- Strive to deliver “Best Practice” IT and IM service models within Conuma Coal Resources Limited.
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Information Technology, comparable industry certifications and/or ability to demonstrate equivalent competencies
- Minimum of five years of experience in IT/IM roles
- Cisco and MS certification or equivalent
- Extensive knowledge of field area wireless networks or cisco wireless certification
- A plus to have Rajant Certified Network Administrator (RCNA), or Extreme Certified Network Associate (ECNA) certification
Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of network architecture and client/server technology
- Strong problem solving and communication skill set
- Mining experience is strongly preferable
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Strong working knowledge of industrial networks
- Strong technical skills and demonstrated aptitude with regards to IT troubleshooting processes
- Ability to work in a team environment involving support, flexibility and team work
- Ability to meet requirements of own and department's action plans
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy, consistency, confidentiality and a commitment to continuous improvement in the work environment
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Willingness to be “on call” on a rotating basis
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held through the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers@ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).